[dpdk-dev] Non-argv dependant rte_eal_init() call

Marc Sune marc.sune at bisdn.de
Thu Aug 1 20:14:29 CEST 2013

Well, I would not want to get into religious discussions here :), but
concerning 1) and 3) you have to compile anyway your final applications,
since as far as I've seen current DPDK makefiles are only compiling
static versions of the lib.

Moreover, I don't think it is feasible to assume that the future
versions of DPDK are going to maintain the exact same headers (APIs and
data structures), basically due to the new HW supported and additional
features that DPDK is going to (hopefully) support. So at the very end
this requires a recompilation anyway. But very likely you know more
about this detail than I do, so I could be wrong here..

Along this, I personally think that in end-user applications these
parameters (CPU_CORES, channels...) will be either compile time
constants or config file parameters, rather than arguments to the
program. At least in our case, we plan to optimize it for several
platforms and so on, but as a final application there is no need (and it
can be harmful) to expose this to the enduser. Besides, most of the
programs have already their own parameters that are meaningful for the
application.

Unless you are profiling, or simply checking SDK examples (in here yes,
it is great, this is why I think it must be kept), I think that having
such DPDK HW specific argvs is not that useful.

Concerning 2), this has a trivial solution, which is define a static
initializer and a (likely inlined) struct initalizer; e.g. pthreads.h does:

|int pthread_mutex_init(pthread_mutex_t */mutex/,
     const pthread_mutexattr_t */attr/);
pthread_mutex_t/mutex/  = PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER;|

In any case, for the moment I will continue faking argv's. If I get more
upset about this piece of code, I will try to implement this call and
send the patch here for discussion. At the very end, it was only a
suggestion ;)

Best
marc