[dpdk-dev] l2fwd-vf application

jinho hwang hwang.jinho at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 20:39:58 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 9:04 PM, Thomas Monjalon
<thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 31/07/2013 09:29, Jayakumar Satri :
>>            Just started experimenting with the dpdk. Working with
>> dpdk-1.2.3r4. I was running the l2fwd-vf application using virtual box. I
>> got the following error.
>>
>> “Cause: No Ethernet port – bye”
>
> You are trying to use a VF driver. Is virtual box emulating a VF device ?
> This example application initialize 3 drivers: igb, ixgbe, ixgbevf.
> Please check the device support of your hypervisor (virtual box here).
> You can also check the supported drivers of DPDK-1.3 in this page:
>         http://dpdk.org/doc/nics
>
> About the form of your email:
> - Please do not use HTML when posting to this mailing-list.
> - Your email CANNOT be confidential so do not put this ugly signature (twice)
> Just look how your email is ugly when archived:
>         http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2013-July/000367.html
>
> --
> Thomas

Thomas,

I have played around the vf function as well. I got the vf to work in
virtual machine, but I can not receive any packets from hypervisor. I
expected to receive packets from both hypervisor and vm based on l2
switching in NIC. My suspicion is that I may not configure the
physical function correctly in hypervisor? (I do not see any
difference between having vf and not having vf except for delivering
kernel commands for mmu and pci realloc).

In summary, I want to receive packets both in VM (via VF) and in
hypervisor (via PF).

Can you guide me for this?

Thank you,

Jinho