[dpdk-dev] Decoupling DPDK from EAL

François-Frédéric Ozog ff at ozog.com
Wed Dec 4 09:27:10 CET 2013

Hi,

I just completed such a consulting mission for a customer. They were using
libpcap as the network back end and the most challenging hurdle was to
transform a single threaded capture architecture to a multi-threaded one
with DPDK. The other key take away, is that DPDK capture helps to get only
20% of the 20 times performance boost I managed to achieve: most of the
latency is due to "application" and other internal communication mechanisms.

So I agree that DPDK is not light, but I think most of the power of DPDK
comes from EAL thread management and "IPC"...

Having said all that, I may have missed a critical point, so, what is the
specific major hurdle you see in the integration?

François-Frédéric