[dpdk-dev] Question regarding PMDs

Patrick Mahan mahan at mahan.org
Wed Jul 31 23:23:40 CEST 2013

Okay, I wadding into the process of writing a poll-mode driver for DPDK.

First question, is the use of the UIO device a requirement (outside of the need for interrupt support) since it is possible to map the PCI bars via /dev/mem?

Second question, is it expected that the NIC hardware would already have been initialized by the kernel driver for that device? Say to load microcode on an intelligent NIC?

I am sure to have more when the water level gets above my head ;-)

Thanks,

Patrick