[dpdk-dev] testpmd port topology

Peter Chen peter.feifan.chen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 21:44:40 CEST 2013

Hi, I am trying to run testpmd app under dpdk. I have Ubuntu Server 12.04
running on a Dell R510 with two quad Xeon 5506 and one Intel 82598EB 10G
NIC. However when I run it, I get the following error:

     No commandline core given, start packet forwarding

     Warning! Cannot handle an odd number of ports with the current port
topology. Configuration must be changed to have an even number of ports, or
relaunch application with --port-topology=chained

     io packet forwarding - CRC stripping disabled - packets/burst = 16
     nb forwarding cores=1 - nb forwarding ports = 1
     RX queues = 1 - RX desc = 128 - RX free threshold = 0
     RX threshold registers: pthresh = 8 hthresh = 8 wthresh = 4
     TX queues = 1 - TX desc = 512 - TX free threshold = 0
     TX threshold registers: pthread=36 hthresh = 0 wthresh = 0
     TX RS bit threshold = 0

     Press enter to exit

I am wondering how I can see the port topology and what this is exactly.
Also how would I go about changing that as the --port-topology usage for
running dpdk doesn't seem to exist when I try "sudo ./testpmd -c ff -n 4 -r
2 --port-topology= (something)". Thanks.

Peter