[dpdk-dev] Best example for showing throughput?

Damien Millescamps damien.millescamps at 6wind.com
Wed May 29 16:07:28 CEST 2013

On 05/28/2013 09:15 PM, Patrick Mahan wrote:
> So the overhead cost is almost 70%?
>
> Can this ever do line rate?  Under what conditions? It has been my experience that the industry standard is testing throughput using these 64 byte packets.

This overhead can actually be explained considering the PCIe 2.1[1]
standard and 82599 Specifications[2].

To sum up, for each packet the adapter needs to first send a read
request on a 16 Bytes packet descriptor (cf. [2]), to which it will
receive a read answer. Then the adapter must issue either a read or
write request to the packet physical address for the size of the packet.
The frame format for PCIe read and write request is composed with a
Start of frame, a Sequence Number, a Header, the Data, an LRC and an End
of frame (cf. [1]). The overhead we are talking about here is more than
16 Bytes per PCIe message. In addition to that, the PCIe physical layer
uses a 10bits per bytes encoding, thus adding to the overhead.
Now if you apply this to the 64 Bytes packet, you should notice that the
overhead is way above 70% (4 messages plus descriptor and data size
times 10b/8b encoding which should be around 83% if I didn't miss anything).

However, if we end up with a limited overhead it is because the 82599
implements thresholds in order to be able to batch the packet descriptor
reading / writing back (cf. [2] WTHRESH for example) thus reducing the
overhead to a little more than 70% with the default DPDK parameters.

You can achieve line-rate for 64 Bytes packets on each port
independently. When using both port simultaneously you can achieve
line-rate using packet size above 64Bytes. In the post to which I
redirected you, Alexander talked about 256Bytes packets. But if you take
the time to compute the total throughput needed on the PCIe as a
function of the packet size, you'll probably end up with a lower minimum
packet size than 256B to achieve line-rate simultaneously on both port.

[1]
http://www.pcisig.com/members/downloads/specifications/pciexpress/PCI_Express_Base_r2_1_04Mar09.pdf
[2]
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/datasheet/82599-10-gbe-controller-datasheet.pdf