[dpdk-dev] Unable to compile DPDK 1.5 on Debian GNU/Linux: lib/librte_eal/linuxapp/igb_uio

Cyril Cressent cyril.cressent at intel.com
Tue Nov 5 16:42:36 CET 2013

Hi Marc,

On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 09:53:29PM +0100, Marc Sune wrote:

> I think it is not this variable. When the folder
> /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build does not exist, the Makefile
> properly warns you (I manually created it, since it was not existing
> during the first compilation attempt).

build should be a symlink to the corresponding kernel sources or
headers, usually in /usr/src/.

> marc at bisdn-dev:~/BISDN/dpdk$ ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
> marc at bisdn-dev:~/BISDN/dpdk$ ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/
> build   modules.alias      modules.builtin      modules.dep
> modules.devname  modules.softdep  modules.symbols.bin
> kernel  modules.alias.bin  modules.builtin.bin  modules.dep.bin
> modules.order    modules.symbols  source
> marc at bisdn-dev:~/BISDN/dpdk$ ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build -la
> total 8
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 jul 31 16:41 .
> drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 nov  4 16:43 ..

That output shows that "build" is not a symlink to the kernel
sources/headers. Make it a symlink to /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`.
And double check you have the kernel headers there...

> Concerning kernel headers, the kernel headers for the running kernel
> were already installed (via apt-get install linux-headers-`uname
> -r`), and no custom kernel is installed in the system.

That's weird ; you should have had the symlink properly created if you
used apt...

> Actually, this seems to me more of a variable definition problem,
> like the $(wildcard $(RTE_KERNELDIR)) but somehow related to the
> DPDK target folders, rather than an issue with the headers/gcc,
> since it is 'make' which is not able to find the existing file. But
> I could be wrong..

Yes, the target folder is /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build, which contains
a Makefile. Yours is empty because it's not the expected symlink, and
make then complains because there is no Makefile there.