[dpdk-dev] olflags in SRIOV VF environment

Prashant Upadhyaya prashant.upadhyaya at aricent.com
Tue Nov 12 14:44:18 CET 2013

Hi guys,

I am facing a peculiar issue with the usage of struct rte_mbuf-> ol_flags field in the rte_mbuf when I receive the packets with the rte_eth_rx_burst function.
I use the ol_flags field to identify whether is an IPv4 or IPv6 packet or not thus -

if ((pkts_burst->ol_flags & PKT_RX_IPV4_HDR) ||
                                                (pkts_burst->ol_flags & PKT_RX_IPV6_HDR))

[pkts_burst is my rte_mbuf pointer]

Now here are the observations -

1.       This works mighty fine when my app is working on the native machine

2.       This works good when I run this in a VM and use one VF over SRIOV from one NIC port

3.       This works good when I run this in two VM's and use one VF from 2 different NIC ports (one VF from each) and use these VF's in these 2 VM's (VF1 from NIC port1 in VM1 and VF2 from NIC port2 in VM2)

4.       However the ol_flags fails to classify the packets when I use 2 VM's and use 2 VF's from the 'same' NIC port and expose one each to the 2 VM's I have

There is no bug in my 'own' application, because when I stopped inspecting the ol_flags for classification of IPv4 and V6 packets and wrote a mini logic of my own by inspecting the ether type of the packets (the packets themselves come proper in all the cases, thankfully), my entire usecase passes (it is a rather significant usecase, so it can't be luck)

Any idea guys why it works and doesn't work ?

Regards
-Prashant