[dpdk-dev] Scenario of dpdk-iokit //Re: Fwd: dpdk-iokit: Turn dpdk into the IO field.

March Jane unix.march at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 02:22:27 CET 2013

 — Nowadays dilemmas in enterprise-class storage system & motivation --

     	The model of most storage system is ‘Front-end cards + CPU + back-end magnetic media hard drive’, in such system, the hard drive is very slow in terms of its capability in random accessing - roughly 200IO per second, in contrast, the processor is very fast, therefore many software stack can tolerate waste of CPU cycle for exploiting capabilities of hard drive.

	In addition, regularly software for SAN is developed under kernel space in order to achieve low latency - few milliseconds per request, and IO pressure in scenario of heavy workload. Usually software in user-space with POSIX is slow. However kernel-space developing is nightmare for engineers, even we have approaches to simulate these code under user-space.

    However, so far flash is coming to popular, the gap between CPU and media is overturned, a single flash card can be easy to reach 1M iops, if plug 10 such cards inside a server, the processor is hard to back. Thus, today’s challenge in flash storage is to exploit the capability of processor, ironically.  In addition to this purpose, move to user-space is also a motivation, if move to user-space is OS-bypass rather than moving to POSIX.

 	Best

	- March