[dpdk-dev] Query regarding multiple processes in DPDK

Prashant Upadhyaya prashant.upadhyaya at aricent.com
Fri Nov 22 13:50:07 CET 2013

Hi guys,

The DPDP programmer's guide mentions -

===
The EAL also supports an auto-detection mode (set by EAL --proc-type=auto flag),
whereby an Intel(r) DPDK process is started as a secondary instance if a primary
instance is already running.
===

So does this mean that if I have a DPDK exe foo.out, then when I run the first instance of foo.out with -proc-type = auto, then foo.out will run as a primary process and when I spawn the second instance of foo.out (with first already running) again with -proc-type=auto, then this second instance automatically becomes secondary ?

Also is there any user code initialization change required or exactly the same code will work for both the processes ?

Regards
-Prashant