[dpdk-dev] Regarding VM live migration with SRIOV

Prashant Upadhyaya prashant.upadhyaya at aricent.com
Wed Nov 27 05:39:09 CET 2013

Hi,

Let me be more specific.
Does DPDK support hot plugin/plugout of PCI devices ?
What typically needs to be done if this is to be achieved inside an application.

Typically, the NIC PF or VF appears to the DPDK application as a PCI device which is probed at startup.
Now what happens if I insert a new VF dynamically and want to use it inside the DPDK application (while it is already running), how should this typically be done ? [hotplugin]
And what happens if the DPDK application is in control of a PCI device and that PCI device is suddenly removed ? How can the application detect this and stop doing data transfer on this and sort of unload it ? [hotplugout]

If the above can be coded inside the DPDK app, then we can think of live VM migration with SRIOV -- just hotplugin and plugout the VF's.

Regards
-Prashant