[dpdk-dev] Can't make RSS work with 82598EB NIC

Costin Popescu Costin.Popescu at enea.com
Fri Oct 11 14:48:24 CEST 2013

Hi everyone!

I have modified the l2fwd example application provided with dpdk in order to benefit from RSS. I have a development machine with an Intel I350 NIC (1Gb) where RSS seem to work (traffic forwarded on all cores).
On the test machine there is a 82598EB based network card and here the RSS doesn't work, only core 0 is forwarding traffic.
Looking into ixgbe_dev_mq_rx_configure() function from dpdk lib I can see that for this type of network controller the configuring function exits immediately.
i.e. if (hw->mac.type == ixgbe_mac_82598EB) return 0;
However the datasheet claims that RSS is supported.
The test machine is an Intel Xeon E5420  @ 2.50GHz.

Does anyone have an idea about why RSS would not work in the 82598EB case?

Thanks,
Costin