[dpdk-dev] Recommended method of getting timestamps?

Dmitry Vyal dmitryvyal at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 08:33:58 CEST 2013

Hello Patrick,

I guess gettimeofday is too heavy if all you need is an abstract
timestamp not related to any particular calendar. I think you should
look at rte_rdtsc()? It returns a current value of CPU tick counter. So
it's very cheap (just a few clocks) and has a great resolution (a
fraction of nanosecond).

Regards,
Dmitry