[dpdk-dev] IGB_UIO port unbinding

Burakov, Anatoly anatoly.burakov at intel.com
Fri Apr 11 11:19:11 CEST 2014

Hi Prashant,

> I might have used the term 'initialization' in a wrong fashion.
> But I have confirmed, the issue was related to this commit (which Thomas
> brought to my notice) --
>
> http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/commit/?id=18f02ff75949de9c2468
>
> The above should get you the context for the original issue.

Thanks, that gives me some context. I'm not familiar enough with dpdk.org codebase, so I wasn't aware of these issues. However, from the looks of it, I doubt that vmxnet3 initialization would be affected - the RTE_PCI_DRV_NEED_IGB_UIO flag will be set regardless (in fact, the commit you linked to has removed dependency on RTE_EAL_UNBIND_PORTS config option for vmxnet3), and vmxnet3 should initialize correctly just like the rest of the NICs with or without that config option. I am open to correction on that one however :-)

Best regards,
Anatoly Burakov
DPDK SW Engineer

Intel Shannon Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263
Business address: Dromore House, East Park, Shannon, Co. Clare