[dpdk-dev] IGB_UIO port unbinding

Burakov, Anatoly anatoly.burakov at intel.com
Mon Apr 14 17:40:59 CEST 2014

Hi Stephen,

> The problem is that doing the initialization requires duplicating all the logic to
> probe the PCI bus and do blacklisting etc in the startup application.

Not quite sure what you're referring to here, could you please elaborate a bit more? If you mean the EAL PCI probing and blacklisting/whitelisting, then yes - we have to do it, but this is out of necessity more than anything else - there's no way around that since DPDK is using userspace drivers. DPDK doesn't require to bind/unbind kernel drivers in the EAL however - there is already a way to do that that doesn't involve EAL-side logic. EAL simply checks if a particular PCI device is bound to a certain driver and if it's blacklisted (in other words, EAL checks if it is able to use the device, but doesn't try to modify the environment).

Best regards,
Anatoly Burakov
DPDK SW Engineer

Intel Shannon Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263
Business address: Dromore House, East Park, Shannon, Co. Clare