[dpdk-dev] Calling rte_eal_init multiple times in the same process

Tomas Vestelind Tomas.Vestelind at hiq.se
Thu Apr 17 11:09:44 CEST 2014

Dear all,

I'm not sure who to address with this email so I'll just present my problem and my suggested solution.

The problem I'm facing is that I need to do rte_eal_init serveral times in the same process. The reason for this is mostly architectural as we want to divide certain functionality in to different, implementation independent, modules in which DPDK would be used for different purposes. Thus we would need to eventually call rte_eal_init several times because we can't say for sure if it has been called by another module or not.

While thinking about it I saw no good, existing solution to this (I might have missed it though). Would returning a "DPDK has already been initialized" error code in rte_eal_init be a good way to go about it? I haven't done this yet but I could probably provide a patch if it's interesting.

Thank you for your time and a very nice framework with good documentation!

BR,
Tomas