[dpdk-dev] Debugging EAL PCI / Driver Init

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Sat Aug 2 17:29:04 CEST 2014

I did a bit more experimentation and found the following. If I unmark the
rte_igb_pmd_init function as static, and call it directly from my code, the
driver will load, and the port count increments to 2:

EAL: PCI device 0000:01:00.0 on NUMA socket -1
EAL:   probe driver: 8086:1521 rte_igb_pmd
EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7f09d45f2000
EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7f09d4730000
PMD: eth_igb_dev_init(): port_id 0 vendorID=0x8086 deviceID=0x1521

EAL: PCI device 0000:01:00.1 on NUMA socket -1
EAL:   probe driver: 8086:1521 rte_igb_pmd
EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7f09d0f00000
EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7f09d472c000
PMD: eth_igb_dev_init(): port_id 1 vendorID=0x8086 deviceID=0x1521

So it seems like when you enable these options:

# Combine to one single library
CONFIG_RTE_BUILD_COMBINE_LIBS=y
CONFIG_RTE_LIBNAME="intel_dpdk"

You don't really get a working DPDK inside of "-lintel_dpdk". Someone
suggested linking with "-Xlinker -lintel_dpdk" but that didn't seem to help.

Is there a secret to getting a single integrated static library, where all of
the PMD's end up in the PCI driver list so rte_eal_pci_probe can find them? Or
some secret to linking against the combined library which works properly?

Matthew.