[dpdk-dev] Recommended LNS-compatible host interface?

Finucane, Stephen stephen.finucane at intel.com
Tue Aug 5 17:36:05 CEST 2014

Hi,

DPDK supports a number of different interface types. Given this, at this time what is the favoured (virtual) interface type for host-only applications where Linux network stack compatibility is required? Previously we used KNI (we found this to be "unreliable" when not bound to a real ethdev). Is this still the best option?

Cheers,
Stephen

PS: The reliability issues we saw were related to ARP. Manually adding an ARP entry caused the entire board to lock up (i.e. hard reboot necessary). At the time, we got around this by not using ARP as we didn't really need it. However, this likely won't be possible going into the future.
Intel Shannon Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263
Business address: Dromore House, East Park, Shannon, Co. Clare