[dpdk-dev] SFP/SFP+ modules hotplugging question.

Dmitry Vyal dmitryvyal at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 14:01:15 CEST 2014

Dear mailing list, I have a question concerning SFP modules hotplugging.

I made some experiments and want to confirm my findings.

Looks like hotplug is basically supported out of the box, the only thing
one has to do is to register
callbacks for RTE_ETH_EVENT_INTR_LSC and avoid sending mbufs to NIC when
link is down.
Implemented that, I can now remove an SFP module in the middle on a run
and insert another one and NIC operation resumes.

So far so good. But then I inserted an SFP module into SFP+ slot during
the testing I got an unsatisfactory behavior.
Link went down but to my surprise it didn't go up after I replaced SFP
module with one of SFP+ type.
I had to restart the application to bring port back into the working state.
So my question is whether it's possible to detect and gracefully
overcome such situations without disrupting other ports operation?

P.S. Forgot to mention, I observed this behavior with DPDK-1.5.1 and
82599EB NIC.

Best regards,
Dmitry.