[dpdk-dev] [ethdev] Multiple devices with single PCI

David Marchand david.marchand at 6wind.com
Thu Aug 28 14:42:02 CEST 2014

Hello,

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 12:54 PM, 이근홍 <dlrmsghd at gmail.com> wrote:

> I found that DPDK has an abstraction for having multiple devices with
> single PCI.
> (RTE_PCI_DRV_MULTIPLE flag)
> However, their is a naming collision while registering multiple devices.
> Here is my possible solution.

- Actually, I think this flag could just disappear.
It had been added at a time when ethdev objects could only be created
through eth_drivers.
Right now, a pci driver can create ethdev objects using
rte_eth_dev_allocate(thenameyouwant).
So I would rather propose you convert your driver from a eth_driver to a
pci_driver.

It is not that hard, you only need to allocate your own private structure
and ensure the mandatory fields are filled.
You can look at rte_eth_dev_init() to see what is needed.

- Thomas, RTE_PCI_DRV_MULTIPLE deprecation for 1.8.x ?

--
David Marchand