[dpdk-dev] A question about hugepage initialization time

László Vadkerti laszlo.vadkerti at ericsson.com
Fri Dec 12 05:07:40 CET 2014

On Thu, 11 Dec,  2014, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 07:16:59PM +0000, László Vadkerti wrote:

> gigabytes of hugepage memory.
> which is concerning.

> things:

> rte_zmalloc).

> valgrind or electric fence.

> > > Yep, that's pretty much what it is alright. However, this
> > > multiprocess support is very widely used by our customers in
> > > building their applications, and has been in place and supported
> > > since some of the earliest DPDK releases. If it is to be removed, it
> > > needs to be replaced by something that provides equivalent
> > > capabilities to application writers (perhaps something with more
> > > fine-grained sharing
> > > etc.)
> > >
> > > /Bruce
> > >

> > It is probably time to start discussing how to pull in our multi
> > process and memory management improvements we were talking about in
> > our DPDK Summit presentation:
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=907VShi799k#t=647
> >
> > Multi-process model could have several benefits mostly in the high
> > availability area (telco requirement) due to better separation,
> > controlling permissions (per process RO or RW page mappings), single
> > process restartability, improved startup and core dumping time etc.
> >
> > As a summary of our memory management additions, it allows an
> > application to describe their memory model in a configuration (or via
> > an API), e.g. a simplified config would say that every instance will
> > need 4GB private memory and 2GB shared memory. In a multi process
> > model this will result mapping only 6GB memory in each process instead
> > of the current DPDK model where the 4GB per process private memory is
> > mapped into all other processes resulting in unnecessary mappings, e.g.
> 16x4GB + 2GB in every processes.
> >
> > What we've chosen is to use DPDK's NUMA aware allocator for this
> > purpose, e.g. the above example for 16 instances will result
> > allocating
> > 17 DPDK NUMA sockets (1 default shared + 16 private) and we can
> > selectively map a given "NUMA socket" (set of memsegs) into a process.
> > This also opens many other possibilities to play with, e.g.
> >  - clearing of the full private memory if a process dies including
> > memzones on it
> >  - pop-up memory support
> > etc. etc.
> >
> > Other option could be to use page aligned memzones and control the
> > mapping/permissions on a memzone level.
> >
> > /Laszlo
>
> Those enhancements sound really, really good. Do you have code for these
> that you can share that we can start looking at with a view to pulling it in?
>
> /Bruce

Our approach when started implementing these enhancements was to have
an additional layer on top of DPDK, so our changes cannot just be pulled in as is
and unfortunately we do not yet have the permission to share our code.
However we can share ideas and start discussing what would more interest the
community and if there is something which we can easily pull in or put on the
DPDK roadmap.

As mentioned in the presentation we implemented a new EAL layer which we
also rely on, although this may not be necessary for all our enhancements.
For example our named memory partition pools ("memdomains") which is the
base of our selective memory mapping and permission control could either be
implemented above or below the memzones or DPDK could even be just a user
of it. Our implementation relies on our new EAL layer, but there may be another
option to pull this in as a new library which relies on the memzone allocator.

We have a whole set of features with the main goal of environment independency
and of course performance first mainly focusing on NFV deployments.
e.g. allowing applications to adopt different environments (without any code change)
while still getting the highest possible performance.
The key for this is our new split EAL layer which I think should be the first step to
start with. This can co-exist with the current linuxapp and bsdapp  and would allow
supporting both Linux and BSD with separate publisher components which could
be relying on the existing linuxapp/bsdapp code :)
This new EAL layer would open up many possibilities to play with,
e.g. expose NUMA in a non-NUMA aware VM, pretend that every CPU is in a new
NUMA domain, emulate a multi CPU multi socket system on a single CPU etc. etc.

What do you think would be the right way to start these discussions?
We should probably need to open a new thread on this as it is now not fully related
to the subject or should we have an internal discussion and then present and discuss
the ideas in a community call?
We are working with DPDK since a long time, but new to the community and need to
understand the ways of working here...