[dpdk-dev] DPDK RSS support for ixgbevf PMD

Dor Laor dor at cloudius-systems.com
Mon Dec 15 21:45:52 CET 2014

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 10:33 PM, Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
> wrote:
>
> 2014-12-15 21:11, Vladislav Zolotarov:
> > Hi,
> > I'm running an ixgbevf PMD on an AWS guests with extended networking
> > (SR-IOV functions of 82599 Intel's NIC) and noticed that even in the
> > current git tree there is no support for a multi-queue in this PMD: reta
> > size returned by rte_eth_dev_info_get() call is 0, while max_rx_queues
> and
> > max_tx_queues are both 4.
> >
> > Linux ixgbevf-2.15.3 driver on the other hand successfully initializes 2
> > RSS queues: for some reason it always limits the number of RSS queues by
> 2.
> >
> > ixgbevf_main.c: line 2539
> > u16 rss = min_t(u16, num_online_cpus(), 2);
> >
> > The above is strange since if MRQE is set to 1010b there are 4 RSS queues
> > available which seems to be the case in my AWS Guest.
> >
> > However, let's get back to DPDK. As I've mentioned above the SR-IOV
> > function i have is RSS capable (to be 100% sure I've verified both queues
> > are receiving packets in a multi-socket TCP test). And it's a shame I
> can't
> > utilize it with a DPDK.
>
> Yes, it is not yet supported.
> But a patch was recently sent:
>         http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2014-December/010028.html

Good to know and nice timing

> > I wonder if there are any blockers to add this capability to the ixgbevf
> > PMD and if not is it scheduled to some time soon?
>
> Please jump in the above thread for your questions.
>
> My turn to ask a question:
> Does it mean DPDK is going to be supported in your system (OSv)?

In general yes. It's premature to ask now since there are components
that already implemented in OSv and won't be needed (efficient
producer-consumer, huge pages, etc). We sure like to reuse the driver code,
it's a pity not to contribute to the same code base. We'll certainly like
to let unmodified dpdk apps run as well

Initially we're playing w/ the Linux dpdk on the host and AWS to gain
familiarity w/ it