[dpdk-dev] No probed ethernet devices /DPDP 1.7.1 in Fedora 21

Neil Horman nhorman at tuxdriver.com
Wed Dec 24 16:04:01 CET 2014

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 02:26:21PM +0100, sothy shan wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am playing with DPDK 1.7.1 in Fedora.
>
> When I do like this:
>
> export RTE_SDK=$(pwd)export RTE_TARGET="x86_64-ivshmem-linuxapp-gcc"
> make install T="$RTE_TARGET"
>
> It worked. Means Testpmd is running.
>
> When I run as mentioned below:
>
> make CONFIG_RTE_BUILD_SHARED_LIB=y  install T="$RTE_TARGET"
>
> Build is sucess. But Testpmd gives error.
>
> Error is :

The dpdk ivshmem build assumes the presence of ivshmem devices as plumbed by
qemu virtual guests.  If you don't have a qemu guest running dpdk won't find any
shared memory devices, which is exactly what you are seeing.  That said, even if
you are running qemu guests, IIRC Fedora doesn't enable ivshmem because the code
has some security and behavioral issues still I think.  You'll need to rebuild
qemu to add support for it.

Neil