[dpdk-dev] No probed ethernet devices /DPDP 1.7.1 in Fedora 21

Neil Horman nhorman at tuxdriver.com
Thu Dec 25 18:08:48 CET 2014

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 10:11:51AM +0100, sothy shan wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Neil Horman <nhorman at tuxdriver.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 02:26:21PM +0100, sothy shan wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I am playing with DPDK 1.7.1 in Fedora.
> > >
> > > When I do like this:
> > >
> > > export RTE_SDK=$(pwd)export RTE_TARGET="x86_64-ivshmem-linuxapp-gcc"
> > > make install T="$RTE_TARGET"
> > >
> > > It worked. Means Testpmd is running.
> > >
> > > When I run as mentioned below:
> > >
> > > make CONFIG_RTE_BUILD_SHARED_LIB=y  install T="$RTE_TARGET"
> > >
> > > Build is sucess. But Testpmd gives error.
> > >
> > > Error is :
> > >
> > The dpdk ivshmem build assumes the presence of ivshmem devices as plumbed
> > by
> > qemu virtual guests.  If you don't have a qemu guest running dpdk won't
> > find any
> > shared memory devices, which is exactly what you are seeing.  That said,
> > even if
> > you are running qemu guests, IIRC Fedora doesn't enable ivshmem because
> > the code
> > has some security and behavioral issues still I think.  You'll need to
> > rebuild
> > qemu to add support for it.
> >

> My understanding is that It is problem of enabling
> CONFIG_RTE_BUILD_SHARED_LIB=y in make command, I am able to build target of
> x86_64-ivshmem-linuxapp-gcc alone without shared_lib flag. I suspect an
> error because of shared lib flag.

What exactly do you think that problem is?  You just said in your
origional note that you are able to build the sdk and test apps without issue
(with or without building them as DSO's).  The problem comes in when you run
the app, and I expect you get the same error with both static and dynamic
builds.

The problem seems obvious to me.  DPDK cannot find any ivshmem devices on your
system when it loads (look at the code in rte_eal_ivshmem_init).  The error
message you see gets output if you don't generate an ivshmem_config, which
happens (among a few other reasons), if you don't have any ivshmem devices
created on your system

Neil