[dpdk-dev] Is it possible to have dpdk running with no dependency on a nic ?

Vivek Soni tellviveks at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 09:42:11 CET 2014

Yes, It is very well possible to run DPDK without dependency on the NIC.
But it all depends what you want to do.
The two DPDK applications can communicate using the ring library provided
by DPDK. In case there is no NIC, DPDK provides pure software based PMDs
which can be used on systems without a NIC or with unsupported NIC using
standard kernel drivers.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Vivek