[dpdk-dev] Is it possible to have dpdk running with no dependency on a nic ?

Ymo Lists ymolists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 21:11:29 CET 2014

Than you so much Jayakumar for your help. Quick note. In the document you
pointed It states that

"Enqueuing and dequeuing items from an rte_ring using the rings-based PMD
may be slower than using the native rings API. This is because Intel® DPDK
Ethernet drivers make use of function pointers to call the appropriate
enqueue or dequeue functions, while the rte_ring specific functions are
direct function calls in the code and are often inlined by the compiler."

Is that statement correct ? I would imagine that inlined code would be be
faster than using function pointers ?

Also what are the native apis ? it does not make it very clear. could you
make it clear what is referrend as "native rings API" ?