[dpdk-dev] How to debug packet sends to virtual functions

Mats Liljegren liljegren.mats2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 13:29:06 CET 2014

Hi Anatoly,

>> The guest starts with loading the igbvf kernel driver, uses ifconfig <dev> up,
>> then loads and binds to igb_uio. After that, DPDK works. If I skip any step
>> here it doesn't work. Skipping "ifconfig" step resulted in packets being
>> received but I couldn't send them, they just got queued up but was never
>> sent.
>>

> Hm, never seen this before. Apologies if you have already mentioned this, but what NIC are you using? I'll see if I can replicate your issues.

Not sure if I've mentioned it, but it is a quad I350. Port 0 and 3 on
host only, and 1 and 2 are being used by DPDK in a guest. The
challenge was to make a ping go from port 0 to 3 and back, via a
somewhat modified DPDK l2fwd example. Port 1 and 2 had two virtual
functions each, and each such pair was given to an instance of this
l2fwd example.

>> It's the latter, i.e. two primary processes running DPDK on the same VM but
>> different VF devices. The VF devices belongs to the same physical devices
>> though.
>
> I'll try that as well.

If you need more help with how we set things up, I'll be happy to help you.

Regards
Mats Liljegren