[dpdk-dev] Issue when the kernel parameter intel_iommu=on is being used

François-Frédéric Ozog ff at ozog.com
Sun Jan 5 18:28:47 CET 2014

Hi,

To understand the issue, you may have a look at:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intelligent-systems/intel-technology/
vt-directed-io-spec.html

When you have no IOMMU, "physical" address space is accessed directly by
hardware, so your core works.

When VT-d is active, there is DMA/IRQ remapping hardware layer between the
device and the memory/cpu. If you look at §3.4.3 of the spec, you that for
each device of each bus there is a context (enumerated at boot time,
leveraging BIOS/ACPI). For each device, you may have address translation
programmed so that DMA produced by hardware is actually mapped to a physical
address.

When you use the Linux kernel API for mapping DMA memory, Linux takes care
of the "details".

For DPDK, documentation §5.6 Using Linux IOMMU Pass-Through to Run Intel®
DPDK with Intel® VT-d says that you should have iommu=pt kernel parameter
on. Do you have it ?

FF