[dpdk-dev] Redirection Table

Ivan Boule ivan.boule at 6wind.com
Fri Jan 10 11:14:03 CET 2014

On 01/07/2014 02:03 PM, Stefan Baranoff wrote:

> All,
>
> Does this mean that an application looking at traffic in something
> like an IP/IP or GRE tunnel with only two endpoints on the tunnels but
> many clients behind them must do software load balancing as the
> packets would IP only (not TCP/UDP) with the same two addresses?

Yes, your understanding is correct, when Intel's NICs are used. But some
other NICs could allow deeper packet analysis.
When NICs only support IPv4/IPv6 RSS, then it is up to the network stack
on top of the DPDK to provide the best optimal solution in software.

> How much of a penalty is there for crossing processor boundaries in
> that case and might a 1 CPU server, while less core dense, actually
> give better performance/watt?

This is hard to say. It is likely to partially depend on the
CPU/memory/bus/ characteristics.
Note that if you consider dedicating a single core to the polling of
packets received on all ports, then you only need a single RX queue per
port.
By the way, in such a case, you can still configure RSS on the ports, so
that the hardware computes the 32-bit RSS hash on each IP packet (it is
stored into the rte_mbuf structure by the Poll Mode Driver), so that the
RSS hash can be used in software to speed-up the assignment of IP
packets to [a subset of] processing cores, if needed.

Regards
Ivan