[dpdk-dev] Any benefit of using DPDK's makefiles instead of using your own and linking against DPDK library

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Tue Jan 14 12:38:29 CET 2014

Hello,

14/01/2014 08:02, Daniel Kan:
> I already have existing makefiles for my current application. I would like
> to integrate dpdk into the application.  ’m wondering if there is any
> benefit to use dpdk’s makefiles instead of using your own makefile and
> linking against the library (e.g. libintel_dpdk.a). Thanks.

DPDK makefiles have 2 benefits:
- provide a framework
- automatically set CFLAGS and LDFLAGS according to your configuration

If you don't need a framework, I think it's better to extract compilation
flags with something like pkg-config.
	http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/pkg-config
A patch for a such feature would be welcome :)

--
Thomas