[dpdk-dev] How to debug packet sends to virtual functions

Mats Liljegren liljegren.mats2 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 18:56:44 CET 2014

I'm trying to get a modified version of the l2fwd example running, and
have problems with packets being silently thrown away. I can receive
packets, and my printf's indicates that the packets are being sent to
the correct port, using correct MAC address as source address. And
still, the packets are lost.

Since the port is a virtual function, it seems like I cannot use
tcpdump on it to see the network traffic. There is nothing coming out
of the cable (activity light not flashing, the receiving end running
tcpdump does not see any traffic).

I'm using two X540 with two virtual functions each. The application
runs in a KVM/Qemu environmen.

Any suggestions how to debug this?

Regards,
Mats