[dpdk-dev] Building DPDK Libraries with Libtool

Stokes, Ian ian.stokes at intel.com
Thu Jul 3 10:30:41 CEST 2014

Hi,

I have been using DPDK with Openvswitch. The latest release of Openvswitch has started to use Libtools to build it's own internal libraries. Previous to this I built DPDK using DPDKs Makefiles and linked against the required DPDK libraries in the Openvswitch Makefiles. However because of the Libtools change over we now receive the warnings like the following

*** Warning: Linking the shared library lib/libopenvswitch.la against the
*** static library /home/tester/rte/x86_64-ivshmem-linuxapp-gcc/lib/librte_mbuf.a is not portable!

For all the DPDK libraries we link against. Doing some research on this warning leads me to believe it is related to how Libtool interacts with static libraries that it has not built and the recommended solution seems to be use Libtool to build those libraries as well (In this case the DPDK libraries). Ideally I'd like to avoid this.

Has anyone linked DPDK static libraries to libtool libraries before and if so was it a case that DPDK had to be built with Libtool?

Regards
Ian
Intel Shannon Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263
Business address: Dromore House, East Park, Shannon, Co. Clare