[dpdk-dev] Running independent processes on the same machine

Kai Zhang zhang.4522 at osu.edu
Mon Jul 21 02:19:09 CEST 2014

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your help. I have implemented rx and tx in the same program to
measure round trip latency.

2 machines (A and B) are connected back-to-back with Intel 82599 NIC.
Machine A embeds a time stamp in the packet and sends to B, B (use testpmd
or l2fwd) forwards packets back to A immediately (A->B->A), and A receives
packets and calculates time difference between current time and the
embedded time stamp. (code :
https://github.com/kay21s/dpdk/tree/master/examples/recv_send)

I got an average of 650~720 microseconds round-trip latency. I have 3
machines, and performing the above experiment on each pair leads to a
similar latency. However, previous academic papers report that DPDK offers
only a few 10 microseconds round trip latency.

What's the round trip latency DPDK is supposed to offer? Have you measured
it at Intel?

Thanks a lot,
Kai