[dpdk-dev] About round trip latency with DPDK

Kai Zhang zhang.4522 at osu.edu
Wed Jul 23 21:24:49 CEST 2014

Hello,

I am trying to develop a low-latency application, and I measured the round
trip latency with DPDK. However I got an average of 650~720 microseconds
round-trip latency with Intel 82599 10Gbps NIC.

The experiment method is as follows. 2 machines (A and B) are connected
back-to-back. Machine A embeds a time stamp in the packet and sends to B, B
(use testpmd or l2fwd) forwards packets back to A immediately (A->B->A),
and A receives packets and calculates time difference between current time
and the embedded time stamp. (code :
https://github.com/kay21s/dpdk/tree/master/examples/recv_send)

I have 3 machines, and performing the above experiment on each pair leads
to a similar latency. However, previous academic papers report that DPDK
offers only a few 10 microseconds round trip latency.

What's the round trip latency DPDK is supposed to offer? Have you measured
it at Intel?

Thanks a lot,
Kai