[dpdk-dev] [v2 00/23] Packet Framework

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Tue Jun 17 03:27:11 CEST 2014

2014-06-04 19:08, Cristian Dumitrescu:
> > Intel DPDK Packet Framework provides a standard methodology (logically
> > similar to OpenFlow) for rapid development of complex packet processing
> > pipelines out of ports, tables and actions.
> >
> > A pipeline is constructed by connecting its input ports to its output
> > ports through a chain of lookup tables. As result of lookup operation
> > into the current table, one of the table entries (or the default table
> > entry, in case of lookup miss) is identified to provide the actions to
> > be executed on the current packet and the associated action meta-data.
> > The behavior of user actions is defined through the configurable table
> > action handler, while the reserved actions define the next hop for the
> > current packet (either another table, an output port or packet drop)
> > and are handled transparently by the framework.
> >
> > Three new Intel DPDK libraries are introduced for Packet Framework:
> > librte_port, librte_table, librte_pipeline.
> > Please check the Intel DPDK Programmer's Guide for full description
> > of the Packet Framework design.
> >
> > Two sample applications are provided for Packet Framework:
> > app/test-pipeline and examples/ip_pipeline.
> > Please check the Intel Sample Apps Guide for a detailed description
> > of how these sample apps.
>
> Acked by: Ivan Boule <ivan.boule at 6wind.com>

It was conflicting with vhost examples because of new logtype:
	http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/commit/?id=7b79b2718f0d028cc0

I've ported fragmentation and reassembly ports to the new ip_frag library
instead of the duplicated code from the old example.

I've removed CONFIG_RTE_TEST_PIPELINE option. CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_PIPELINE
should be sufficient.
By the way, more build options conditioning could be needed in order to
disable some features (e.g. disabling LPM lib should silently skip LPM port).

Commit splitting have been reworked for atomicity, especially makefiles and
doxygen files.

Packet Framework is a big piece of code which is now applied to master branch
and should be ready for version 1.7.0.

Thanks a lot
--
Thomas