[dpdk-dev] Physical core vs. hyper threaded core

Jane Shen jshen at mavenir.com
Mon Mar 3 01:56:26 CET 2014

Hi,

I understand that DPDK should use the physical core. But here is what we tested:

-          Enable HT

-          Assign 8 cores of the CPU (an 8-core Sandybridge CPU) to DPDK.

Surprisingly enough, we noticed that the remaining 8 cores (b/c there are total of 16 cores after HT) can still handle other Linux processes which are SIP based signaling transactions.

Anybody can shed some light on how this worked? Is there anybody tried similar thing? What has been your experience?

Thanks,
-Jane