[dpdk-dev] Physical core vs. hyper threaded core

Jayakumar, Muthurajan muthurajan.jayakumar at intel.com
Mon Mar 3 02:49:01 CET 2014

Jane,
Great. You are correct. Have tried enabling hyperthreading and it works.

For example, if we want to have the functionality partitioning such that Rx + Packet Processing + Tx = all of these three functions can be done in  2 cores  - By positioning Rx in one lcore and by positioning Packet processing and Tx in the sibling hyperthread lcore of the same physical core, you get tight coupling because L1 cache and L2 cache are shared between the hyperthreaded cores belonging to same physical core.

Curious to know - in your configuration, the SIP based signaling threads -

Option A) are they sharing sibling of DPDK threads?

Option B) Or all DPDK threads are tightly coupled with sibling threads and SIP based signaling threads are on separate cores?

If  it is Option B) more tight coupling within the DPDK threads and less interference from signaling threads.

Thanks,