[dpdk-dev] Vmxnet3-pmd not receiving packets after random time under high load

Daniel Kan dan at nyansa.com
Thu Mar 13 23:07:20 CET 2014

I dug deeper into the problem vmxnet-pmd not capturing packets. Whenever pmd stops capturing, it does not respect the number of rxd. For example, I set rxd to 512. The pkt mbuf mempool I allocate is 4482, which is much bigger than rxd. I would expect ~512 mbufs to be removed from mempool at any moment in time. When not able to capture new packets is imminent, pmd would use much more than 512 to the point of exhausting all the mbufs in mempool. After this point, pmd stops capturing packet and does not recover; it never enters the while loop below.

vmxnet3_rxtx.c
457	while (rcd->gen == rxq->comp_ring.gen) {

This issue occurs quite randomly, which leads me to believe there is some race condition. It occurs when packets are arriving faster than the application can process.

I understand that vmxnet3 pmd preallocates rxq descriptors during initialization. Yet, even when it’s receiving packets correctly, it uses a little more than rxq descriptors. I find the number of mbufs in mempool very interesting.

Before vmxnet3 init
4482

After vmxnet3 init
3970

When receiving packets properly
ranges between 3920 - 3970

Prior to stop receiving packets
ranges between 0 and 3970

After the last packet is received
4481

I appreciate any comment/help on this. Thanks.

Dan