[dpdk-dev] 82599ES NIC support

Shaw, Jeffrey B jeffrey.b.shaw at intel.com
Mon Mar 31 20:46:01 CEST 2014

If you read the output that you posted, you will see the real error: "eth_ixgbe_dev_init(): Hardware Initialization Failure: -30".  The error code is defined in lib/librte_pmd_ixgbe/ixgbe/ixgbe_type.h as IXGBE_ERR_SFP_SETUP_NOT_COMPLETE.
This has been reported several times on the mailing list, but you can search "Unusable interfaces although apparently attached to IGB_UIO" to see for yourself.

To clarify your understanding of the internals of the driver code, I have provided some information for your information, but this is irrelevant to your problem.
You should see your PCI device ID (not the branding name associated with the product line) in rte_pci_dev_ids.h.
You can use the command "lspci -s 0000:07:00.0 -x" to dump the config space for your device. The first 4 bytes will be the vendor/device ID.

For one specific instance of the 82599EB NIC, I have vendor ID of 0x8086 and device ID of 0x10FB.
# lspci -s 0000:02:00.0 -x
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599EB 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection (rev 01)
00: 86 80 fb 10 <... snipped... >

You should notice that the lines do in fact exist in include/rte_pci_dev_ids.h
#define IXGBE_DEV_ID_82599_SFP                  0x10FB
RTE_PCI_DEV_ID_DECL_IXGBE(PCI_VENDOR_ID_INTEL, IXGBE_DEV_ID_82599_SFP)

This confirms that the specific instantiation of my device (0x8086, 0x10FB) is supported.

Thanks,
Jeff