[dpdk-dev] Heads up: Fedora packaging plans

Neil Horman nhorman at tuxdriver.com
Tue May 13 21:08:40 CEST 2014

Hey all-
	This isn't really germaine to dpdk development, but Thomas and Vincent,
you expressed interest in my progress regarding packaging of dpdk for Fedora, so
I figured I would post here in case others were interested.

Please find here:
http://people.redhat.com/nhorman/dpdk-1.7.0-0.1.gitb20539d68.src.rpm

My current effort to do so.  I've made some changes from the stock spec file
included in dpdk:

* Modified the version and release values to be separate from the name.  I did
some reading on requirements for packaging and it seems we can be a bit more lax
with ABI version on a pre-release I think, so I setup the N-V-R to use
pre-release conventions, which makes sense, give that this is a 1.7.0
pre-release.  The git tag on the relase value will get bumped as we move forward
in the patch series.

* Added config files to match desired configs for Fedora (i.e. disabled PMD's
that require out of tree kernel modules

* Removed Packager tag (Fedora doesn't use those)

* Moved the package target directories to include N-V of the package in the path
names.  This allows for multiple versions of the dpdk to be installed in
parallel (I.e. dpdk-1.7.0 files are in /lib/dpdk-1.7.0, /usr/include/dpdk-1.7.0,
etc).  This is how java packages allow for multiple version installs, and makes
sense given ABI instability in dpdk.  It will require that developers add some
-I / -L paths to their makefiles to pull the proper version, but I think thats a
fair tradeoff.

My plan is to go through the review process with this package, and update to
tagged 1.7.0 as soon as its ready.

Neil