[dpdk-dev] Heads up: Fedora packaging plans

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Mon May 19 12:11:35 CEST 2014

Hi Neil,

Thanks for sharing your progress.

My main concerns are about naming and extensions.
We must keep "dpdk-core" naming in order to distinguish it from PMD
extensions. And then, packaging of memnic and non-uio paravirtualization PMDs
(virtio/vmxnet3) are missing.

2014-05-13 15:08, Neil Horman:
> My current effort to do so.  I've made some changes from the stock spec file
> included in dpdk:

We should try to get .spec for Fedora and in-tree .spec as common as possible.
There are probably some things to push.

> * Modified the version and release values to be separate from the name.  I
> did some reading on requirements for packaging and it seems we can be a bit
> more lax with ABI version on a pre-release I think, so I setup the N-V-R to
> use pre-release conventions, which makes sense, give that this is a 1.7.0
> pre-release.  The git tag on the relase value will get bumped as we move
> forward in the patch series.

I thought that we should put version in the name, in order to be able to
install many versions together. How is it handled by yum?

> * Added config files to match desired configs for Fedora (i.e. disabled
> PMD's that require out of tree kernel modules

It would be clearer to make your configuration changes with "sed -i".
In a near future we would probably need a "configure" script to do it.

So you don't package igb_uio but you build it because there is no option to
disable it currently. We should add such option.

> * Moved the package target directories to include N-V of the package in the
> path names.  This allows for multiple versions of the dpdk to be installed
> in parallel (I.e. dpdk-1.7.0 files are in /lib/dpdk-1.7.0,
> /usr/include/dpdk-1.7.0, etc).  This is how java packages allow for
> multiple version installs, and makes sense given ABI instability in dpdk.
> It will require that developers add some -I / -L paths to their makefiles
> to pull the proper version, but I think thats a fair tradeoff.

I don't see version for include directory and bin directory (testpmd).

Thanks
--
Thomas