[dpdk-dev] DPDK Latency Issue

Jun Han junhanece at gmail.com
Mon May 26 21:39:05 CEST 2014

Thanks a lot Jeff for your detailed explanation. I still have open question
left. I would be grateful if someone would share their insight on it.

I have performed experiments to vary both the MAX_BURST_SIZE (originally
set as 32) and BURST_TX_DRAIN_US (originally set as 100 usec) in l3fwd
main.c.

While I vary the MAX_BURST_SIZE (1, 8, 16, 32, 64, and 128) and fix
BURST_TX_DRAIN_US=100 usec, I see a low average latency when sending a
burst of packets less than or equal to the MAX_BURST_SIZE.
For example, when MAX_BURST_SIZE is 32, if I send a burst of 32 packets or
less, then I get around 10 usec of latency. When it goes over it, it starts
to get higher average latency, which make total sense.

My main question are the following. When I start sending continuous packet
at a rate of 14.88 Mpps for 64B packets, it shows consistently receiving an
average latency of 150 usec, no matter what MAX_BURST_SIZE. My guess is
that the latency should be bounded by BURST_TX_DRAIN_US, which is fixed at
100 usec. Would you share your thought on this issue please?

Thanks,
Jun