[dpdk-dev] segmented recv ixgbevf

Matt Laswell laswell at infiniteio.com
Wed Nov 5 15:48:50 CET 2014

Hey Folks,

I ran into the same issue that Alex is describing here, and I wanted to
expand just a little bit on his comments, as the documentation isn't very
clear.

Per the documentation, the two arguments to rte_pktmbuf_pool_init() are a
pointer to the memory pool that contains the newly-allocated mbufs and an
opaque pointer.  The docs are pretty vague about what the opaque pointer
should point to or what it's contents mean; all of the examples I looked at
just pass a NULL pointer. The docs for this function describe the opaque
pointer this way:

"A pointer that can be used by the user to retrieve useful information for
mbuf initialization. This pointer comes from the init_arg parameter of
rte_mempool_create()
<http://www.dpdk.org/doc/api/rte__mempool_8h.html#a7dc1d01a45144e3203c36d1800cb8f17>
."

This is a little bit misleading.  Under the covers, rte_pktmbuf_pool_init()
doesn't threat the opaque pointer as a pointer at all.  Rather, it just
converts it to a uint16_t which contains the desired mbuf size.   If it
receives 0 (in other words, if you passed in a NULL pointer), it will use
2048 bytes + RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM.  Hence, incoming jumbo frames will be
segmented into 2K chunks.

Any chance we could get an improvement to the documentation about this
parameter?  It seems as though the opaque pointer isn't a pointer and
probably shouldn't be opaque.

Hope this helps the next person who comes across this behavior.

--
Matt Laswell
infinite io, inc.