[dpdk-dev] bifurcated driver

Zhou, Danny danny.zhou at intel.com
Wed Nov 5 23:48:34 CET 2014

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for sharing the links to ibverbs, I will take a close look at it and compare it to bifurcated driver. My take
after a rough review is that idea is very much similar, but bifurcated driver implementation is generic for any
Ethernet device based on existing af_packet mechanism, with extension of exchanging the messages between
user space and kernel space driver.

I have an internal document to summary the pros and cons of below solutions, except for ibvers, but
will be adding it shortly.

- igb_uio
- uio_pci_generic
- VFIO
- bifurcated driver

Short answers to your questions:
> 	- upstream status
Adding IOMMU based memory protection and generic descriptor description support now, into version 2
kernel patches.

> 	- usable with kernel netdev
af_packet based, and relevant patchset will be submitted to netdev for sure.

> 	- usable in a vm
No, it does no coexist with SRIOV for number of reasons. but if you pass-through a PF to a VM, it works perfect.

> 	- usable for Ethernet
It could work with all Ethernet NICs, as flow director is available and NIC driver support new net_ops to split off
queue pairs for user space.

> 	- hardware requirements
No specific hardware requirements. All mainstream NICs have multiple qpairs and flow director support.

> 	- security protection
Leverage IOMMU to provide memory protection on Intel platform. Other archs provide similar memory protection
mechanism, so we only use arch-agnostic DMA memory allocation APIs in kernel to support memory protection.

> 	- performance
DPDK native performance on user space queues, as long as drop_en is enabled to avoid head-of-line blocking.

-Danny