[dpdk-dev] White listing a virtual device

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Fri Nov 7 13:55:40 CET 2014

Hi Nicolas,

2014-11-07 12:36, Nicolas Pernas Maradei:
> I'm currently using the --vdev option to create virtual devices, mainly
> for testing. I noticed that these virtual devices are not being
> white-listed any more. That was the original behaviour when the option
> was called --use-device. Instead of that the virtual device is being
> added to the device list along with the real ones.

Yes

> Now, the --pci-whitelist argument lets you white list a device but it
> only accepts a PCI address as an option. My question is, how do you
> white list a virtual device? Did this feature get dropped when the
> --use-device was split into --vdev and --pci-whitelist back in
> March/April or is this just an unhandled corner case?

It's by design. If you add a vdev, you want to use it and there is no
reason to whitelist it, and especially no reason to blacklist a device
you created for your usage.

Do you agree?
Is there a part of the documentation which should be improved?

--
Thomas