[dpdk-dev] 82599 Ethernet Controller Virtual Function

Alex Markuze alex at weka.io
Sun Nov 16 12:08:24 CET 2014

Hi,
I'm working with a VMware SRIOV with intel 10G nics.
I'm using two virtual functions per VM, mainly because I need loopback
(the LLE(PFVMTXSW[n])
register is not allowing loopback on a VF by default).

After adding a second VF to the VM's I often see issues where no traffic is
passing between the VF's.

Each VM has 4 legs:
   1. mgmnt (vmxnet over the onboard 1 GB)- ssh connections
   2. data mgmnt (vmxnet  over the physical function) - "Trusted interface"
to ping DPDK apps/KNI
   3 + 4) VF bound to igbuio - for the application.

The issue I see, is that some VF cannot communicate with other VF's either
same nic or a different Nic. For example two "data mgmnt" vmxnet3
interfaces (not bound to DPDK) cannot see each other.

The only thing that seem to solve it is a VM shutdown (a reboot of a VM
will not help).

Has anyone seen something like this? any suggestions how to debug analyse
what I'm seeing.