[dpdk-dev] one worker reading multiple ports

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Fri Nov 21 15:44:30 CET 2014

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 03:03:25PM +0100, Newman Poborsky wrote:
> So, since mempool is multi-consumer (by default), if one is used to
> configure queues on multiple NICs that have different socket owners, then
> mbuf allocation will fail? But if 2 NICs have the socket owner, everything
> should work fine?  Since I'm talking about 2 ports on the same NIC, they
> must have the same owner, RX receive should work with RX queues configured
> with the same mempool, right? But it my case it doesn't so I guess I'm
> missing something.

Actually, the mempools will work with NICs on multiple sockets - it's just
that performance is likely to suffer due to QPI usage. The mempools being on
one socket or the other is not going to break your application.

> Any idea how can I troubleshoot why allocation fails with one mempool and
> works fine with each queue having its own mempool?

At a guess, I'd say that your mempools just aren't bit enough. Try doubling the
size of th mempool in the single-pool case and see if it helps things.

/Bruce