[dpdk-dev] development/integration branch?

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Tue Oct 21 11:28:47 CEST 2014

2014-10-21 11:14, Marc Sune:
> On 21/10/14 10:46, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> > My balance is different because I have a simpler solution for Marc's problem:
> > 	git fetch && git merge $(git tag | grep -v -- -rc | tail -n1)
>
> We all know we _can_ do this. But is it really necessary? We should be
> all as lazy as possible and make it easy for users IMHO. `git pull` is
> easier :)

Yes and lazy users download tarballs.

> I don't see any drawback of using a development branch, except if you
> consider the extra push to master per release a drawback.

No I don't care to push one more thing.
But I care about the message brought by such change. It would mean that
we can break the development branch and that most of developers don't test
it nor base their patches on the latest commit. It's all about simple rules
and messages.

> Also think about new users downloading the repo for the first time. They
> are forced to do this right now if they want to checkout the latest stable.

New users will get the latest release and expect to see current work in
progress right after cloning the git tree (in master branch).
It's also more common to see work in progress in default branch in cgit.

--
Thomas