[dpdk-dev] DPDK Features for Q1 2015

Liang, Cunming cunming.liang at intel.com
Wed Oct 22 17:05:32 CEST 2014

> > This design allows to keep the configuration code in one place: the kernel.
> > In the meantime, we are trying to add a lot of code to configure the NICs,
> > which looks to be a duplication of effort.
> > Why should we have two ways of configuring e.g. flow director?
[Liang, Cunming] The HW sometimes provides additional ability than existing abstraction API.
On that time(HW ability is a superset to the abstraction wrapper, e.g. flow director), we need to provide another choice.
Ethtools is good, but can't apply anything supported in NIC.
Bifurcated driver considers a lot on reusing existing rx/tx routine.
We'll send RFC patch soon if kernel patch moving fast.