[dpdk-dev] [dpdk-announce] DPDK Features for Q1 2015

O'driscoll, Tim tim.o'driscoll at intel.com
Thu Oct 23 13:27:41 CEST 2014

> From: Tetsuya Mukawa [mailto:mukawa at igel.co.jp]
>
> (2014/10/22 22:48), O'driscoll, Tim wrote:
> > Single Virtio Driver: Merge existing Virtio drivers into a single
> implementation, incorporating the best features from each of the existing
> drivers.
>
> It's nice plan. We should do it.
> In my understanding, the following drivers could be merged into a single
> virtio PMD since they consist of similar code for handling the virtio ring.
>
> - librte_pmd_virtio
> - librte_pmd_xenvirt
> - librte_vhost (cuse)
>
> librte_vhost is not a PMD, but we can easily write a librte_pmd_vhost based
> on librte_vhost.
> Before doing it, we need to consider vhost-user extension for librte_vhost.
>
> BTW, I have a RFC patch for librte_vhost to handle vhost-user.
> It may be the first step to merge all virtio drivers.
>
> My patch introduces an abstraction layer to hide differences between legacy
> cuse vhost and vhost-user from DPDK apps.
> Also in my patch, virtio negotiation and initialization code and virtio handling
> code is separated.
> So, legacy cuse vhost and vhost-user can share virtio handling code
>
> Anyway, I will send a RFC patch soon as the first step of merging all virtio
> drivers.

That's great Tetsuya. There was some discussion on the mailing list previously on vhost-user in response to an RFC from Huawei Xie (http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2014-August/004875.html). If you're planning an additional RFC on this, that should help to progress things and to make sure we're not duplicating work.

Tim